HARO provides journalists with a robust database of sources for upcoming stories and daily opportunities for sources to secure valuable media coverage.
Go to www.helpareporter.com/sources to sign up as a source.
HOW IT WORKS
Join the 800,000 + HARO users already using our service to connect with journalists. Registering is simple and only takes a minute out of your busy schedule!
Monitor Source Requests
Check your inbox three times a day (5:35 a.m., 12:35 p.m. and 5:35 p.m. ET), Monday through Friday. Look out for source requests relevant to you or your client’s industry, expertise or personal experience.
Send the Perfect Pitch
Pitch the masked email address listed in the source request. Include answers to the journalist’s questions, any specified requirements and a bio with you or your client’s contact information. If the journalist is interested, they’ll reach out!
- Make sure your compliance department is cool with you sending this out or get pre-approval. Ask for 24 hours due to it being sensitive.
- Make sure you copy the Summary in the subject line of the e-mail
- Make sure you write a short one sentence or two sentence bio to show your credentials or authority.
- Do NOT write a novel. Journalists have to SCAN and have a little time to read. Make SURE you write bullet points and highlight the important phrases, salient points, or quotes that really MATTER. Remember, if you don't get your POINT across, they won't quote you.
- You need to be AVAILABLE. If a journalist responds to you, get ready to call, e-mail, etc. as stories have DEADLINES. This takes commitment.
- Don't get discouraged. It may take FOUR to SIX posts to get your first quote. It takes PRACTICE.
- After you get quoted, don't forget to ask the reporter to include a BACK LINK to your website, your blog, or your e-mail. This is important for many reasons.
- Last, capture the reporters information and learn more about the topics they write about or are interested in writing about in the future. If you can craft a good topic, story, etc. that fits their eye, you can not only get quoted again but also drive some content.