1. Click on Services and then select the Apps option from the list to the right.
2. Click the Add option where the Auto Reply service is listed.
3. Add a relevant description for the Service.
4. Select the Twitter account you want the automation to apply to.
5. Select whether you want to reply based on matches found in Tweets or Profiles. Please Note: the system can currently only return a limited number of results based on Profiles so if you select this option, you should edit this service once replies are no longer being sent so that it matches results in Tweets instead.
6. Now you’ll have to define the main term/s you want to search for. For the main ‘All of these words’ field, you will need to add the main keyword/s you’re looking for. Please note: all of the terms will need to be included in the tweet in order to be brought through. So, for example, if you’re searching for results based on a particular company, in this case we’ll use McDonald’s, than this is the word that should be added. If you also wanted results for other restaurants, these should be set up as separate searches as if you added ‘McDonald’s, Burger King’ than the tweet would need to include both mentions of McDonald's and Burger King in order to be picked up.
7. In the Any of these words (Optional): field, you can include additional words which need to be included in the Tweet or profile in order for a reply to be sent. This is called an inclusion field. So, for example, if the main word you’re searching for is ‘Starbucks’ but you also want to ensure that the Tweet or profile mentions ‘coffee’ you should include ‘coffee’ in this field.
8. In the None of these words (Optional): field you can include words that should not be included in the Tweet or profile in order for a reply to be sent. So, for example, if the main word you’re searching for is ‘Starbucks’ but you don’t want to reply to Tweets or profiles that also include the word ‘tea’, you should add ‘tea’ into this field.
9. You can also choose to send replies to just a specific Twitter user or users. You’ll need to add in the Twitter handle of the relevant account minus the '@' symbol.
10. You can also choose to exclude certain users. Please add the handles for the relevant account/s as above.
11. Include the messages you want to send out. Type in the first message (please ensure to keep all messages below 140 characters) and then select the Add button and another text box will be provided. You can also include merge tags as highlighted below the text box so that replies are personalized.
12. Add how often you want the system to send out replies.
13. If you select to follow those you reply to, you can then also select whether you want to receive email notifications when you follow Twitter accounts. Put the email address/es you want to receive these email notifications into the text box provided.
14. Select how many Tweets you want to send out each time (this will be dependant on the amount of relevant Tweets or profiles that can be found so if, for example, you’ve selected 3 but there are only two relevant Tweets that match your settings in the time the system has checked, only 2 replies will be sent out).
15. If you’ve selected to receive emails when replies are sent, you’ll need to add the email address/es you want to receive these email notifications into the text box provided.
16. You can also select if you only want to reply to Tweets that match a particular sentiment. Please note: as the system determines the sentiment of aTweet, it may not always be entirely accurate as it cannot pick up on things such as sarcasm or slang.
17. You can also select to automatically follow Twitter users you reply to.
18. Select which language the keywords you want to reply to should be in.
19. If you only want to reply to Twitter users within a specific area or location, you can add the Country, City or town or provide a specific Longitude or Latitude. You can also select the distance around that area you want to include.
20. Lastly, you can Activate or Pause the automation.
21. When you’re happy with your settings, click the Save Settings button for the automation to start working. You’ll be able to see replies being sent out if you check the Sent view under the Engage tab.